Health of Everyone Matters!
- Use of newspapers for wrapping, packing and serving food may cause cancer-related health complications
- Older people, teenagers, children and people with compromised vital organs and immune systems are at a greater risk
- Indians are being slowly poisoned due to newspaper being widely used as food packaging material by small hotels, vendors and also in homes in lieu of absorbent paper.
- Wrapping food in newspapers is an unhealthy practice and the consumption of such food is injurious to health, even if the food has been cooked hygienically.
- Newspaper ink contains multiple bioactive materials with known negative health effects
- Printing inks may also contain harmful colors, pigments, binders, additives, and preservatives.
- Presence of pathogenic microorganisms in used newspapers also poses potential risk to human health.
- Newspapers and even paper/ cardboard boxes made of recycled paper may be contaminated with metallic contaminants, mineral oils and harmful chemicals like phthalates which can cause digestive problems and also lead to severe toxicity.